Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Aloha! It Begins!!

On August 21st, 2012, I discovered a great treasure, the oldest standing Tiki Bar in LA, Tonga Hut.  Since then it has become one of my favorite Tiki Bars in the nation, my go-to location for great Tiki Libations.  In April of 2013, I made another discovery, that Tonga Hut is home to several Tiki Traditions, including a society that they've dubbed The Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard.  Of course, when I heard about this, immediately I went and asked them: "How do I become a member!?".


THIS is how.  The famous Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's Grog Log list.  A collection of 78 of his favorite tiki recipes, collected while on his journeys across North America to the Tiki Temples that used to exist in mid-century.  You must complete all 78 drinks, for better or for worse, over the course of 52 weeks.

This "Grog Blog" will be a memoir of this challenge, as I take a very tasty journey through the Tiki Drinks of America.  Lets Begin!

1 comment: