Thursday, June 13, 2013

#25: Boo Loo


Recommended by one of my fellow Grog Loggers, the Boo Loo finishes off my visit to the Hut this week.  This beast reminds me of a less-sweet version of Tortuga, which basically means its the strongest drink I've had yet on the Log.  Four, yes four, different kinds of rum make up the alcoholic base of this beast.  Honey, Lime, and Pineapple make up the sweet-flavor end of this guy, as well as club soda to give it texture.

  • A few small fresh pineapple chunks
  • 2 1/2 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 1 1/2 oz lime juice
  • 1 oz honey
  • 1 1/2 oz club soda
  • 1 1/2 oz Demerara Rum
  • 1 1/2 oz gold Purto Rican rum
  • 3/4 oz dark Jamaican rum
  • 3/4 oz 151 Demerara Rum

Blend it all together until liquified, and you got yourself a cocktail.  Created in the mid 60s, it is a staple drink at the amazing Alameda tiki bar, Forbidden Island.  It is an awesome drink, but I regret trying to go for four drinks with THIS as the closer, because it delivered an easy knock-out punch to my sobriety, and I was barely able to appreciate the intense flavor.  Sad to say, this is the first time (and hopefully only time) that I was unable to finish the drink.  Bad form.


Demerara
Demerara
Demerara

1 comment: